June 29, 2012

I Finished something!

Gideon and I put our heads together and designed this.  Then I fiddled a little more and came up with this.

 

The cape is a cotton-linen canvas.  I drew a cape in Paint.net and made it transparent.  The I resized the different images from the original design and placed the transparent cape layer over it.  When we were satisfied with the arrangement I flattened the image.  I did that for the rocket and the star and arranged them together on an image that would fit on one yard of the fabric (36"x52").  I uploaded the image to my Spoonflower account and ordered one yard.  When it arrived, I excitedly cut out the capes (adding a seam allowance) and sewed them together (with a button loop, and a hole to turn it).  I turned it right side out and ironed it.  Then, I topstitched all the way around and added buttons.  So it is reversible.  Gideon told me he wanted to have TWO  capes but I didn't have enough seam allowance to turn it all under nicely (though it could be serged I suppose).  I also think strong magnets would be better/safer than buttons to hold it on.  The next project just might be a flowers and butterflies cape for Madeline.



No comments:

Post a Comment