July 5, 2011

So, what do you do when you need mayonnaise for a recipe, but don't have any?  Well, if you've got time and the internet, you learn how to make mayo.  Of course, I didn't have all the ingredients in any one recipe for mayo so I had to mix and match with the recipes - guess what a particular ingredient is supposed to do and then try to find something that will fill that need.  Which meant I looked for egg free recipes and saw they use xantham gum (who has xanthum in their kitchen?)  So I added a touch of cornstarch - not sure if it will work, but I'm ok with a thinner mayo in this case, because I needed the mayo for a salad dressing.  Now, I've gotta say... cooking bacon right before lunch is not good, when said bacon is for supper and I don't have any extra.  There really is no good substitute for bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment