June 29, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love chocolate cookies.  Over the years, I've tried a lot of recipes.  This is the one I do most often now.  It was inspired by that Neiman Marcus recipe that went around on email a while back, but I tweaked it to make it healthier and easier.  So now I call it my recipe.  It makes about 5 dozen cookies that are slightly crispy, but not crunchy.
1/2 cup margarine - softened, not melted
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract (I use the cheap stuff, so if you use real extract you might want to cut back.
1 1/2cup oatmeal - blend it into powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I prefer not to use milk chocolate)

Cream the margarine, oil and sugars until smooth.  Beat in eggs and vanilla well.  In a large measuring cup, lightly mix the oatmeal and flour with the soda, powder and salt.  Dump the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and mix.  Add chocolate chips and mix again.  Preheat the oven to 375F.  I use a small scoop and put them on a greased pan about a cookie width apart.  If you are using a nonstick pan, bake for 9 minutes.  Add 1 minute if you use the other kind.  Let them cool for a couple minutes on the pan before moving to a cooking rack.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment